Monday, July 7, 2008

Hungry Hummingbird




I haven't put up my hummingbird feeders for a few years (that laziness factor had me) but the other morning when I was out on my porch swing I saw one zoom by. That was it......I had to put my feeder up. I put it up, and anytime I have been out back, I have been keeping my eye on it and my camera close by. Well, I finally got a few pictures (difficult with my camera) of the hummingbird that has been pigging out on it. I have only seen one (as far as I can tell) at this point. I think it is probably a female that is nesting in one of our huge trees (we are on an acre with lots of trees) close by the feeder. My literature on hummingbirds says that the females will not travel far from their nest to seek out food while they are nesting. After the babies have fledged (left the nest), it says the dive bomber circus will begin and we should end up with lots of hummingbirds. I can't wait!!
I think they are just beautiful and look forward to seeing more.

3 comments:

Jan & Tom's Place said...

Hi Darlene,

Thanks for the visit...and the comment!!!

We love the hummingbirds...we have them visit every night...just prior to darkness and they sit and rest for several minutes on the top rung of our tomato cages! It's so odd to see them like that!!

~Blessings,
Jan

Susie Harris said...

Dont you just love those tiny birds.. We have a few that come around but boy they can fuss with each other... Our new little birds are called Zebra Finches... they make the cutest little peeps. Well it's cute right now but it may get old, Susie h~

Joy said...

I love hummingbirds but have not seen even one yet this year although we have at least three feeders out. :(