Thursday, August 14, 2008

Our Living Room Area

In a previous post you might remember I told you we purchased new furniture. After living with it a few days........we ABSOLUTELY LOVE it!!! I got excited there sorry...Anyway, way back, when we moved into this house I was into the country blues/peach colors and do you see we still had this huge picture hanging on the wall from when we had a blue plaid couch and now above a different couch (it doesn't match it at all). When we got rid of all the country blue "style" and went out to buy new furniture about 8 years ago my husbands' only demand was "I want recliners" in the furniture. We ended up with this "overstuffed" furniture (you can see a glimpse of it) with no recliners and truthfully, it was not comfortable, at all. Our living room area is very small and we had a couch, love seat, chair/ottoman and a recliner.....way too much furniture for the space and we could just never get it arranged right and it just never felt comfy and cozy. Just cluttered.
We will now start our tour with the new furniture. I would love an armoire style cabinet for the TV but I can live with this.
The pillows on the floor are from the old green couch (they will end up leaving when we sell the furniture), trying to look casually put there, but they are really covering a jillion wires. Not sure what we will do about those yet. Also, the black box under the sofa table is the sound system control to the Bose speakers we have in the room.

Another view, the sofa table I just showed you is to the right of the arched window. Excuse the crate, Lucy has to be there when we leave. Those shelves above the windows are leaving (back from my extreme country decorating), they are going to get painted and put in my daughters room for all her Webkinz critters. And, we definitely need some mistreatments on the windows. With the new arrangement I was able to bring back in the little hutch that had just been neglected in the garage (there hadn't been any room for it at all). I have begged and begged to bring it back, but with all of that large furniture we had it wouldn't fit anywhere. Also, you can see a glimpse of a little drawing desk that Lexi likes to use (in the corner). I have been keeping the blinds down because of the sun streaming in, but I keep those two open a bit for Tangie. Look, there she is in one of the windows now. We purchased a couch and love seat in a creamy leather and there are 4 recliners built in. Now, let me tell you I have never and I mean NEVER wanted leather furniture.....I thought it was ugly and it didn't seem comfortable and a whole host of reasons. Let me tell you, I think this creamy color is beautiful, it is SOOOO comfortable and you just wipe spots off it. As a matter of fact, when we were looking at it there was a couple of pen marks across one of the arms and when we mentioned it, they wiped it right off. I will be able to change out accessories to whatever color I want and they will look great with the couch color.

This is the couch and the love seat is to the left and would be looking toward the fireplace. You can also see our desk......we are on the hunt for a different one that closes up and probably will get black. Excuse the little fan on the fireplace but we had a $300+ electric bill and we are keeping the air (during the day) at about 79 and using several fans. From the couch the TV is in the corner to the left of the fireplace. You can also see my new birdie lamp back there.

Just another view and I'm sure you have noticed there are always animals in our pictures.

Here is one more picture. Do you notice anything different? I didn't like the red candles on the sofa table, so I had been out in the garage looking around for things I forgot I had......you know you use something, then stick it out in the garage, and sometimes it doesn't come back in cause you put something else there. Well anyway, I found this vase with the stick thingys with berries all over it and I love it in that spot. Also, the berries are in oranges and reds so it looks Fall-ish. It is staying now through the Fall season.
Anyway, I hope you enjoyed a look around my living room area.

23 comments:

Empty Nest Full Life said...

That flower arrangement adds some height that looks good. More impact than the shorter candles. Great job. Have a blessed day. Jackie

Songbirdtiff said...

When I look back on pictures I've taken in my house, there are always animals. They're everywhere! lol

I LOVE your new furniture. In fact, I'm terribly jealous because it's exactly what I want, cream/white leather. Enjoy!

Diane@A Picture is Worth.... said...

Hi Darlene,
Your rooms look great. Love the new furniture.

I have a similiar dilemma with the TV...we haven't bought our new TV yet, but I want some type of cabinet that blends with the room.

I've been looking and came close to finding something...but may end up having something cutom built.
Have a great dsy,
Diane

Susie Harris said...

Im in love with that lamp! I need one Bad!! smile... I have a light tan leather sofa too! With kids and pets they are the way to go. Pillows pillows and more can always dress up those leather sweeties.... Have a great one... Still lovin' that lamp!

Shannon said...

Love the flower arrangement! I bet you will love having that color sofa. We have one that color and it goes with everything. Everything looks so great in your living room!

Marie said...

I love the color of your furniture! I have leather in my living room too. And let me tell you...it took me years to agree to it. I didn't like the look of it either. lol The set we bought is pretty basic...but it's dark! Oh! And when it's a hot day and you may be a little...sweaty? Don't lay on the couch. Your skin will stick to it and it HURTS. lol Anyhooo...I laughed at your old "extreme" country style description. Oh, can I ever relate to that!! I called mine "hardcore authentic". lol Your living room looks great!

Kim's Treasures said...

Your room looks great! Tv's are such a dilemma! Have a great day!
Kim

Dawn said...

Your living room looks just lovely! I have a friend with cream colored leather furniture and it is lovely to sit on!!

Your room doesn't look that small. You've decorated it beautifully!

take care,
Dawn

Lisa Ann said...

It looks great!

CONNIE said...

It seems that everybody is really into redecorating mood. I just bought a couch myself. Pics will be up soon.

Darlene, the leather couch was a great choice. I just love the creamy color you chose.

Enjoy your new couch.

chelle's winks said...

Everything looks so good....Love the lamp, new funiture and the change you made at the end of the post!

Megan said...

Your new furniture is nicee! (I really like the flower arrangement too!) (I am a fan of leather, but sometimes it gets warm to sit on) We're moving in to a new aparment tomorrow and going couch shopping on Saturday.

Sophee-a Laroo Bijoux and Sheri too said...

WoW...You are like me. Right now I have very overstuffed furniture. I love it but I feel like we paid too much. I don't know why I did it~ but 3 pieces match. I am not a matchy kind of girl....next time flea market finds or recover this overpriced stuff I have LOL

The Berry's Patch said...

Congratulations on your new couches! I have always had leather because of my 3 kids and 3 dogs. What is great about the solid color of the couch is that you can bring in pillows with any color. You could even change out the pillows for the seasons. Your room look great and I love seeing your fur babies all over!!!

joelandbecca said...

That is such a great neutral color. We are in the process of trying to sell our couch so we can get some new furniture. I am totally thinking neutral! Thanks for popping over to see me! BTW-I love Oklahoma!

thestonerabbit said...

Hi Darlene! Your new furniture is wonderful! We bought our first leather sofa years ago when the kids were little. They were trashing out the already old fabric stuff we had, so I picked out a NAVY (don't gag--it went with that peach/rust we all had going then) sofa, chair and ottoman. That was the best investment we ever made. The furniture survived the kids and an assortment of animals. We had it at least 13 yrs.. When the kids and most of the animals were gone, we bought another set (and passed the navy number on to someone else who was thrilled)---wine this time. We used that for several years, then when we moved to this house 3 yrs ago we bought leather set #3--in a medium brown. It is in our family room upstairs and the wine set in the family room in the basement. I love leather for being able to keep it clean and dusted. We've never had problems with it being uncomfortable in cold or hot weather---but I know some folks don't care for it because of that reason. I LOVE your hutch--that is a wonderful piece of furniture!

Christina said...

Great neutral color!! We also have leather furniture and it is so great to be able to wipe spots off. I was worried about pokes and scratches, but it has been great w/kids and my son's allergies. That was one of the main reasons we went with a leather sofa.

Great lamp too.

I also have a fourth grader this year.

Nancy said...

Hi Darlene, I love your new furniture, it's beautiful and functional. Oh, I love that birdie lamp too. I dislike TV problems in rooms...You might be able to hang your TV over your sofa table..I don't know if it's the kind of tv that will go on a wall, but those kind sure do solve alot of problems. I would love to redo our sunroom with better functional furniture, but I will have to wait till our sons graduate from college! You did a great job! Nancy

Nicole said...

I love your new furniture. I am way sick of our plaid couch and would love something like that. First I want new carpet though, are's is horrible. Your flower arrangement is beautiful.

Prim Lover/Farmgirl Dreamer said...

Your living room is just beautiful! It's so neat and tidy, want to come over to my house and help me re-decorate? :-)

A Hint of Home said...

I like your new couches. Mine have built in recliners also. I like the cabinet back in the house.

Joy said...

Leather, recliners and a big TV? Can my husband come to your house? He would be in seventh heaven!
I loved the tour! You have a very warm and cozy living room.

Kitty Scraps said...

I had to go back and enlarge the picture to find the birdie lamp but it was so worth it, cute lamp! I have a angel in that finish on my mantel, don't you love the weathered chippy white stuff?

I heart your new furniture, I have wanted a leather couch forever. I grew up with black leather furniture that was indistructable, wish I had my parents old set! Extreme Country, how funny! Your new room looks great and I agree with you about the vase and stick things looking better than the candles.