Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Thrift Store/Yard Sale and How Used

These great finds cost $3.00......I was hoping the large bowl would fit in my china cabinet but it is too large - so at this moment it is on top of it.......when I get the top decorated I will show a picture, but it is just stuck up there right now. The cheese server is probably going to be used as a cloche and I have a small white quail in it in the china cabinet at the moment......should I paint the wooden bottom white??? The white milk ware(?) is in the china cabinet holding the adorable stamped card stock cuties that Susie sends you when you purchase a tassel.....those who have bought know what I am talking about.
This next picture was all found at my Habitat for Humanity store and cost a whopping $5.00 total.....can you believe that?!?! I have spray painted the candle holders black and am working on finding where they will live......I will show that later, when they are where I am planning on putting them. You will also see what I have done with a couple of other things in later pictures.
These next finds are some favorites at another yard sale. The white china was in a set of 4 each of bowls, saucers and cups and cost $5.00 with the other two items at $4.00 so a total cost at this sale of $9.00.

Remember I showed you how I painted this shelf black???? After I painted it I just stuck everything back on it that was there, but I was definitely ready for a change.
Here is that same space now........what do you think? The candle holder has a bird nest with eggs in it (I finally received those from e-bay wins). I know it is hard to tell in the picture. Also, some of my little Dollar Tree birds and remember my white heart from up above.....it is now black with a white ribbon on it. I love the spot now. The spindles are on top of a half wall when you walk in our front door and those are going to get painted white.
This little secretary desk (where our bills are stored) is on that half wall with the spindles and here is where I put the iron candle holder.....but with a bird nest with eggs, and remember my black basket I spray painted? It sits here now and holds my bills that are paid and waiting to be mailed out.

Stay tuned tomorrow for another small project and see what I spray painted.

23 comments:

Empty Nest Full Life said...

I definitely like the change with the shelf. It looks great! Did you check out my finds for the weekend? We did not even go early so I was amazed. If we'd gone early just think what we might have found.

Marie said...

Wow! You found some great deals! I love how "everyone" has those Dollar Store birds all spray painted. hee hee

Susie Harris said...

Girl you just rock with all of your sweet stuff. I have not been to the thrift store in a while. Trying to get kids back in school, ugh! They start on Friday....Susie h~

Kim's Treasures said...

Your shelf vignette looks great! You found a lot of great bargains, lucky girl! I have the little tags Susie included on a cute wire picture holder! They are adorable!
Have a great day!
Kim

HeathahLee said...

You just know I love those birds! : ) They look great on that shelf!

Strawberry Blonde said...

I love the new shelf arrangement. Looks great.

I am still working on some of my recent finds and am not sure what they will be painted or where their home will be. It's fun to play with new pretties.

Oh, and I love your tassels. I really like the acorn and the first pumpkin. I think the crookedness adds to the character. :) -- Brandi

Shelia said...

Hi Darlene! Oh, thank you for thinking of my safety. And you're right, we were out surveying the damage - which, praise God, we didn't have any. Just some light rain and mild wind. One of the scaries of living on the coast.
Thanks for stopping by and I just loved your treasures. It's so much fun searching for goodies, isn't it?
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Bella said...

I think I would spray paint that wood white.

I love your shelf and birds, you do good work :)

Do you live in a multi-level home? I live in a quad-style home and so I have lots of stairs and railings...just wondering if you do, too? :)

I must get to the Dollar Store to get these infamous birds, lol ;)

Bella

VINTAGE GIRL AT HEART said...

We have that same little desk.. it was my husband's Father's and he refinished it for our son! I love all of your goodies..the black accents are so great... I have not found our thrift stores.. yet..maybe when things settle down a bit.
I do have a 9 year old daughter!! We came through Ardmore on our way into Norman,it was so pretty. We will have to plan a girls day soon!

Joy said...

I want to go shopping with you cuz you find better deals! I think the wood plate on the cheese platter would look really good painted.
I like the changes on your shelf. Isn't it great how a little change can freshen up the whole room.

Elise said...

Cute, cute finds!! Love the change with the shelf. Great idea for the tassels that you did.
Elise

The Berry's Patch said...

I just love what you have done with that shelf. All the accessories look great! Did you know that Southern Hospitality is having a garage sale/thrift store blog party. You should enter this post!

Brandee :-)

Joy said...

What cute little birds. I love how you did your shelf too!

Girl Stuff said...

thanks for visiting my blog...your were my first official comment!
You did a nice job on the shelf!

Kitty Scraps said...

Hi Darlene,
Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment!

I love your thrifted finds! You had great luck finding bargains. I totally heart the little nest, how sweet is that? And you did a fab job arranging your shelf display ~ can't wait to see after you paint your spindles.

Your Dollar Tree birds look great, I only found one in that style at my store and I loved the faux crazed finished look so I left him alone and put him up on my tin shelf by his lonesome, lol, but my pair of ugly birdies got the spray paint and boy did they suck it up! Took lots of coats and I still imagine I can see their hideous paint showing thru their polyresin cracks...

In a few days I'll post my latest 'Lobby score...I'm so broke!

Shannon said...

LOVE the shelf now!! You did a great job! You also found some awesome deals! Love all your ebay nests!

Jan said...

How fun are you having this summer. You are a frugal gal. I love that. Cute and cheap. Yeah.

Really great finds Darlene. I would do something with the cheese base. Maybe paint it white, then antique it and then modge podge a cheese reference in paper on the top of the board after you paint it. I think it would be really cute.

Jeanne said...

Darlene, you are definitely a great shopper and you have the talent to make anything better. Spray paint is a good thing!!

I tagged you for a silly but fun song tag. come to my blog to check it out, and play along if you want to.:)

Take care, Jeanne

Anne Fannie said...

Hi Darlene, what great treasures you found! I really like how that shelf came out.
Love, Ann

Blissful Nikki said...

GREAT finds! I am loving the little nest! So sweet! :)

Gretchen said...

Great buys! I love that you painted that little round black and then put all your cute finds on it. That's a great idea!

Gretchen
birdnestcottage.typepad.com

Nancy said...

Hi Darlene, First, I love your blog! Next, I love all your finds you posted, I really love that bunny! Last, I am adding you to my blog list, so I can return. Please come back and visit me anytime, you are always weclome. Blessings, Nancy

Katie said...

Now I know I'm commenting on an old post, but gosh what a great job you're doing on your home! We are polar opposites in our likes in color and all, but I truly appreciate the transformations you're doing! Fabulous!