Monday, November 23, 2009

Discover Your Daughter ~ A New Parental Website

After I told you about Discovery Girls on my blog here, I was contacted by Jen at Discovery Girls, and she told me about a launch of their new website for parents of tween daughters. Now let me pass it on to YOU! Last Wednesday was the launch day for www.DiscoverYourDaughter.com . I have been on it, explored around it and I really think it is going to be a great tool for us. Let me show you part of the e-mail from Jen.

A little history?It?s hard for parents to help their daughters if they don?t know what their daughter?s problems are. Recognizing that, the publishers of Discovery Girls magazine created this online community for parents of tween daughters -- DiscoverYourDaughter.com -- to educate parents and share with them what we know about what girls go through during the difficult tween years.

We?ll share:How to help her learn to identify & stand up to bulliesWhat she thinks parents don?t understand about her life?and what to do about it.How parents can teach her to use technology wisely, so she?s not ruled by text messaging, IMs, email, etcHow to know where to draw the line on privacy? How much should tweens have?How to help her deal with jealousy, disappointment, and failure so she grows into a resilient, strong, confident young womanHow to help her to love and accept her bodyHow to build a foundation so she?ll make good relationship choices now and for the rest of her life

The site is very easy to navigate and there are articles for parents and girls. Everything is grouped by topic, and you have an option to subscribe to the parenting newsletter for regular updates and the latest study findings.

If some of you have thought about ordering Discovery Girls for your daughter, there is also a trial subscription and you receive a risk-free issue. If you LOVE it, pay just $19.95 and receive 5 more issues, if not just write cancel on the bill, return it promptly and owe nothing.

Now, go on over and start browsing this new web site and let's make it a great resource for all of us that occasionally need some help navigating our tween girl's world. Look for me.....I am mom-to-lexi. Appropriate, don't ya think!


Oh, and remember you can enter my giveaway here.♥

23 comments:

Marilyn said...

Sounds like a wonderful source if info and help. Tweens is a hard time of life. Wish I could find one for little boys. Enjoy your day.

Libby said...

Great site Darlene! My daughter is 19 and I would have loved having this info.My sweet girl has been a joy to raise but those tween years are hard! We 'girls' need all the help we can get!Have a great Monday!

mysteryhistorymom said...

I am definitely going to check this out! Mandy would love this! Lori

Neabear said...

That sounds great! Seems life is a lot harder to navigate these days with the things available to us now that wasn't when we were tweens.

~Linnea

Susie from Bienvenue said...

Sweet site...need to check this one out.Thanks for sharing~

Shelia said...

Hi Darlene! Oh, this sounds like a world of information. Good for you. So much has changed since my children were little or teenagers. I could have used a few tips! :)
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Dear One!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi Darlene
I will check this out. It sounds a great site.
Lindsay
x

SmilingSally said...

If I were younger... Darlene. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

~The Robin's Nest~ said...

I think this is great Darlene... I really do. But I think you and your husband have done a great job with Lexi. She has a good head on her shoulders. I couldn't imagine her having too many issues come towards her that she wouldn't be able to figure out on her own and I know if she did have issues she would come running to you.

I think this magazine/website would be a wonderful guide to many tweens. As long as it stays in the moral standards that different parents raise their kids in.

After raising 5 kids-I know that what may work for one child may not work for the other~
Let us know what you think about the parental website. It would be great if there really was that wonderful of a guide to help you and your children get through the tween years.
My grandson will be 8 soon... I might need to go over there to get some insight to help my daughter!

Have a fabulous Thanksgiving week Darlene!
Love,
Me~♥

Caren said...

Sounds awesome! I would have loved that magazine when I was a kid and the website stuff sounds really fun for both of you.

I have to say though, I think you seem like you're doing a pretty good job already. ;)

Have a great Monday!

Deb said...

Sounds like a great on line source. When my daughter was in high school she volunteered for a program called "Go Girl" which worked on building good self esteem etc...and would talk to junior high school girls about the same issues you have mentioned. Love your user name Darlene ♥

Melissa Wertz said...

Thanks for posting this Darlene. we are going nuts here...

jennykate77 said...

That sounds like a really helpful website for moms of tween girls! So nice of her to let you know about that!

Hope you're having a great Monday!♥

Debbie @ ribbonwoodcottage.blogspot.com said...

Hi Darlene. This looks like a great site with a lot of help. I sure could have used this! Anyhow...I'll be baking cookies soon with my girl. HOpe your Thanksgiving is going to be wonderful. I know it will be!
Blessings,
Debbie
Thanks for your kind words and prayers. Things have really turned around for the better!

Ramona said...

Good Morning Darlene ~
Thank you for sharing such helpful and caring information. Great post. You are a wonderful Mom. These are such important years for our young gals...their spirit is precious and needs to be protected and celebrated.

Good job!

Smiles ~ Ramona

Shannon said...

I hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

Life with Kaishon said...

I need to DISCOVER my son : )

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

This is such a great idea. Everyone can use all the help they can get navigating today's complicated issues that our young people have to face. How wonderful that you have shared a positive source.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Darlene!
M.L.

Lisa & Gerald said...

I will have to check out that site..I went on real fast just to peek...Thanks again..

Christina said...

I will have to check this out after the holidays. Looks interesting.

Christina said...

I also meant to say that I hope you all have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Michelle@Fromhousetohome said...

I'll have to check it out. I have a 9 year old that is in a big hurry to grow up. We had conferences today and her teacher said she doesn't raise her hand enough even though she's sure Hailey knows the answer. I knew right away why, it's because she's in that stage where she doesn't want to draw attention to herself. Why does that start so early?!

Happy Thanksgiving to you, I hope it is wonderful!
~Michelle

Controlling My Chaos said...

Ack! I'm so glad I don't have Tweens yet! Can't I just lock them in a closet when they get to the tween years?