Monday, March 29, 2010

Menu for March 29 - April 4 and Review of Last New Recipe...

Be sure to visit I'm an Organizing Junkie for hundreds of menu plans for the week.

  • Monday - Slow Cooked Beef Stroganoff (you know this is a favorite), noodles, green beans and leftover biscuits

  • Tuesday - Grilled Chicken, mashed potatoes, baked beans

  • Wednesday - We are going to a concert (one of Lexi's Birthday Presents).  I'll let you know who later.  Eat out.

  • Thursday - (Breakfast for Dinner) - Ham and Hash Browns (new recipe below), fruit, biscuits

  • Friday - Chicken Soft Tacos (new recipe below), refried beans and/or mexican rice, chips and dip

  • Saturday - leftovers

  • Easter Sunday - Glazed Ham, Pineapple Sweet Potatoes (new recipe below), green beans, cupcakes 
Review of the Tuna Noodle Skillet (from two weeks ago) - I didn't do a picture this time but I won't make it again.  It was just very blah to us and didn't have much flavor.  So, not a keeper here.
This is a picture of my new soft cover cookbook FIX-IT and FORGET-IT 5-ingredient slow-cooker recipes.  This is where all my new recipes this week come from.  
Remember each of these three recipes is for your slow-cooker.
Ham and Hash Browns
32-oz. pkg. frozen hash brown potatoes
2 cups cubed cooked ham
2-oz. jar diced pimiento, drained
10 3/4 oz. can cheddar cheese soup
3/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp. pepper (optional)
1.  Combine potatoes, ham, and pimiento in slow cooker.
2.  Combine soup, milk and pepper (if desired) in a bowl.  Mix well and pour over potato mixture.  Stir.
3.  Cover and cook on low 4 to 6 hours or until potatoes are tender.

Chicken Soft Tacos
1 to 1 1/2 lbs. frozen boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
14 1/2-oz. can low-sodium diced tomatoes with green chilies
1-oz. envelope low-sodium taco seasoning mix
1.  Place chicken breasts in slow cooker
2.  Combine tomatoes and taco seasoning mix in a bowl.  Pour over chicken.
3.  Cover and cook on high 1 hour and then on low 4 to 6 hours.
4.  Remove chicken from slow cooker and chop.  Serve in soft tortillas.  Top with salsa, low-fat shredded cheddar cheese, guacamole, and fresh tomatoes.

Pineapple Sweet Potatoes
10-oz. can unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
2 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
40-oz. can unsweetened yams, drained
1.  Spray interior of slow cooker with cooking spray.
2.  Combine pineapple and brown sugar in slow cooker.  Add yams.
3.  Cover and cook on low 2 to 4 hours or until heated through.
Tip:  This recipe can be doubled easily.  Just remember to allow extra time for it to heat, perhaps an additional hour.

Hope you have a wonderful Monday.  On Wednesday, I'll show you Lexi's last Mini Society project and I'll let you know what concert we will be going to.♥  

22 comments:

Libby said...

Sounds good! I love my slow-cooker. I really need to use it more!
Libby

Lana said...

The ham and hash browns sounds delicious!

Marilyn said...

It all sounds so good. Have fun at the concert and enjoy this wonderful week.

Amelia said...

Upcoming menu sounds very good.

Enjoy the concert and of course eating out.

Kerin said...

Looks like good eating this week :)
I have the Fix-it and Forget-it cookbook... but not the 5 ingredient one. I'm going to check this one out!
Have a great day!

Noni at The Brick Street Bungalow said...

All I'm sayin' is that I want to come to dinner for that slow cooked beef stroganoff! YUMMY! I am going to make that for our family this coming weekend when we visit my daughter and see my GRANDSON! Woo hoo! That is my favorite recipe in a long time.

vintage girl at heart said...

Mmmm it all sounds good.
Especiall that Hash Brown Casserole!
I'm HUNGRY!!
Trying to lose a few pounds so just yogurt for me this morning. Ha Ha I'm saving my calories for Country fried Steak Dinner tonight!! oink oink!
Can't wait to see what show yall are going to!
Enjoy this fabulous weather!

Joanna said...

It all sounds so yummy! Now I'm hungry, lol.

Can't wait to find out whose concert y'all are going too!!

Cindi said...

Can't wait for you to share what concert you are taking Lexi to!

My MIL gave me the Better Homes and Garden "Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes" several years ago for my birthday. I need to get that out and go through it! Thanks for the reminder!

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi Darlene
The pineapple sweet potatoes sound delicious.
Enjoy the concert.
Lindsay
x

Julie Harward said...

Well, I'm not back to cooking yet but it all looks very good to me! (I have a cat that looks just like yours!) :D

Linda ★ Parker's Paradise said...

I should never read your blog when I am so hungry. It all sounds so good......Thanks for posting the recipes. ★Linda

Shelia said...

Oh, shoot! You're home from your lovely Spring Break and now you're having to cook again! :)
I'm very impressed you're so organized, Darlene! I love the sound of the ham and hash browns!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

T.J. said...

yummy looking as usual! I love breakfasts for dinner. When we have them here, I call it "breakfast in Vermont" (as if that jazzes up the whole egg and hashbrown affair ;))

Ramona said...

Happy Monday Eve Darlene ~

These menus look scrumptious...I especially love breakfast for dinner.

Have a great week!

Smiles ~ Ramona

Cherry's Jubilee said...

I LOVE My slow cooker.....great recipes.

Heather said...

those sound good! i may try the sweet potato recipe for Easter!

Anne Fannie said...

I just bought that book 2 days ago! I can't wait to start making some of those easy meals!

Kimberly said...

I am so glad you are back from vacation, and that you had such a good time! I love this week's menu. It is full of yumminess. Happy Easter, friend.

Controlling My Chaos said...

I need to do more slow cooker recipes. You are so smart.

Kerin said...

Hi Darlene!
Sounds like you are having gorgeous weather, you lucky girl!
I was right in the middle of sending you this message...and whamo, the power bumped and everything shut off. It's back on for now, but there's now telling.
We have a storm on the way and 30-40 mph winds. The temps are nice though- about 62. Hope that we just get a bit of rain, and NO SNOW!
Enjoy your chicken tonight (from your menu). I am going to roast a chicken tonight, and have a few veggies on the side.
I'll catch up with you later:)

Nola @ the Alamo said...

Your menus look delish! Makes me want to come to your house for dinner.